Fjällräven Polar 2020
300 km in the wildest and pristine nature of the Arctic Circle, over 200 trained sled dogs, a handful of experienced guides and a group of ordinary people. This is Fjällräven Polar, the most exciting winter adventure in the world. The event, launched by Fjällräven for the first time in 1997, was born to show that anyone with the right gears and the right support can take part in a winter expedition in extreme conditions. Fjällräven Polar is aimed at “normal” people, with normal jobs and without any particular experience in the outdoor field.
Per candidarsi è necessario iscriversi al portale dedicato (polar.fjallraven.com), uploading your own video or a collection of photos. Each candidate competes for a specific macro-region (11 in total), based on the country of origin. Once the registration procedure is completed, it is possible to start collecting the votes of the public, spreading your candidacy through social networks and traditional media.
To win the coveted places of the 2020 edition (scheduled from March 30th to April 5th) will be two competitors for each region: the first will coincide with the profile most voted by the public, the second will instead be selected by the jury of the competition based on criteria like the quality of the profile and the application.
Here’s some numbers from the 2019 edition:
– 2.183 candidates.
– 952.957 total votes assigned by the public.
– 82.715 total votes of the most voted candidate.
– 1 Italian participant, the first one in the history of the competition.
– 92 the different countries of origin of the candidates.
– 15 kg the weight of a single sled.
– 90 kg approximately, the weight of a full load sled.
– 300 km the total length of the route.
– 200 km far away from the Arctic Circle.
– 2.160 kg of dog food consumed during the trip.
– 3.651.000 the stars in the sky seen from the tent.